Top 10 Cybersecurity Podcasts
In today's digital age, the importance of cybersecurity cannot be overstated. With cyber threats on the rise and digital technologies becoming increasingly integrated into our lives, staying informed about the latest developments in cybersecurity is crucial. But how do you keep up with this ever-evolving field?
Podcasts have become a popular medium for learning and staying updated on various topics, and cybersecurity is no exception. They offer a convenient way to access valuable insights, expert opinions, and the latest trends, whether you're on the go or during your daily commute.
In this blog post, we've curated a list of some of the best cybersecurity podcasts that every individual and professional should consider adding to their playlist, covering a wide range of cybersecurity topics, from threat analysis to data protection and ethical hacking.
Why Learn from Podcasts?
Before we delve into our top picks, let's briefly explore why podcasts are an excellent way to learn about cybersecurity.
- Convenience: Podcasts can be consumed anytime, anywhere. Whether you're driving, exercising, or doing household chores, you can turn your downtime into a learning opportunity.
- Variety of Content: Podcasts offer diverse content formats, including interviews, discussions, and in-depth analyses. This variety caters to different learning styles and preferences.
- Expert Insights: Many cybersecurity podcasts feature industry experts, making them an invaluable source of knowledge. You can gain insights from professionals with hands-on experience and firsthand accounts.
How We Chose the List
This list takes into account factors like content quality, relevance, credibility of hosts, and listener reviews. Our goal was to provide you with a well-rounded list that caters to both beginners and cybersecurity enthusiasts alike.
Before we give you our list of recommendations, it would only be right to first mention our very own “Ctrl-Alt-Secure” podcast, featuring host and Red Sentry CEO, Valentina Flores. Each episode features different industry leaders across different specialties, including compliance, blockchain, white hat hacking, and more. So whether you’re an ethical hacker, MSP, CEO, CISO, or anyone who cares about the cyber safety of their business, tune in each month for valuable insights, engaging discussions, and incredible cyber experts.
That being said, here is our top 10 cybersecurity podcasts, listed in alphabetical order:
1. Cyber Security Sauna
- Host/s: Janne Kauhanen.
- Description: Cyber Security Sauna presents knowledgeable guests offering valuable perspectives on the most recent trends and subjects in information security. Hosted by Janne Kaauhanen from WithSecure, the show ensures you are well-informed about the ever-evolving world of information security. Come join us as we delve into the most pressing issues in security
- Average episode length: 20 to 40 minutes.
2. Darknet Diaries
- Host/s: Jack Rhysider.
- Description: Embark on a captivating exploration of real-life tales from the depths of the Internet's underworld, guided by host Jack Rhysider. Join him on a chilling odyssey through the realm of hacking, data breaches, and cybercrime.
- Average episode length: 45 to 80 minutes.
- Host/s: McAffe.
- Description: Have you ever wondered if your favorite devices can be hacked? "Hackable?" explores the vulnerabilities of everyday technology and answers the question, "Can it be hacked?" in an engaging and informative way.
- Average episode length: 25 to 35 minutes.
4. Hacking Humans
- Host/s: Dave Bittner and Joe Carrigan.
- Description: This is a podcast where you’ll learn about deception, manipulation, and social engineering techniques within the realm of cybercrime.
- Average episode length: 25 to 40 minutes.
5. Malicious Life
- Host/s: Ran Levi.
- Description: Malicious Life, presented by Cybereason, uncovers untold narratives from the cybersecurity realm. The series delves into the historical events of cybersecurity, featuring insights and analysis from genuine hackers, security professionals, journalists, and political figures
- Average episode length: 30 to 40 minutes.
6. Risky Business
- Host/s: Patrick Gray.
- Description: Risky Business, a podcast aired weekly, provides updates on information security alongside in-depth conversations with notable figures in the industry. It was introduced in February 2007 and has become essential listening for information security professionals. Each episode, lasting around 50-60 minutes, is fast-paced, offering insightful content without unnecessary details.
- Average episode length: 50 to 60 minutes.
7. Security Now!" by TWiT (This Week in Tech)
- Host/s: Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte.
- Description: Steve Gibson, credited with inventing the term 'spyware' and developing the initial anti-spyware software, as well as the creator of SpinRite and ShieldsUP, engages in discussions about current security issues with Leo Laporte.
- Average episode length: 120 minutes.
8. Smashing security
- Host/s: Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault.
- Description: Offering an insightful and amusing perspective on the week's tech mishaps, seasoned computer security experts Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault engage in discussions with guests about cybercrime, hacking, and online privacy. Smashing Security has been recognized as the "Best Cybersecurity Podcast" in 2018, 2019, and 2023, and the "Most Entertaining" in 2022 and 2023, boasting over nine million downloads.
- Average episode length: 35 to 60 minutes.
9. The CyberWire
- Host/s: Dave Bittner.
- Description: "The CyberWire" provides daily briefings on cybersecurity news, analysis, and trends. It's a fantastic resource for staying updated with the latest cyber threats and understanding their implications.
- Average episode length: 15 to 35 minutes.
Our Own Cybersecurity Podcast
10. Ctrl - Alt - Secure Podcast
- Host/s: Valentina Flores, CEO of RedSentry.
- Description: This is our own brand new podcast, your guide to navigating the ever-changing landscape of cybersecurity. It’s a place where we feature great industry referents and dive together into the latest trends, threats, and innovations shaping the infosec space.
- Average episode length: 25 to 35 minutes.
In today's digital landscape, staying informed about cybersecurity is not an option; it's a necessity. These top 5 cybersecurity podcasts provide an excellent starting point for enhancing your knowledge and protecting yourself or your organization from cyber threats.
We encourage you to explore these podcasts, subscribe to your favorites, and start your cybersecurity learning journey today. Remember that awareness is key in the world of cybersecurity, so share these valuable resources with your colleagues and friends. Feel free to leave your comments or recommend your favorite cybersecurity podcasts below!
Stay secure, stay informed.